Thursday, November 27, 2014

FrankenBeans



Hello, readers, 
 
Forgive me if I've already told you about WAPF preparation of beans, but I've gotten really excited about it lately.  In my Freshman year at OSU I couldn't eat beans - they always caused very bad gas problems.  Now I've learned to cook black-eyed peas and even (naturally toxic) kidney beans the right way...I just soak them in water with a little bit of raw liquid yogurt whey or Kosher dill juice in glass jars for a couple of days and there's an amazing fizzing reaction that happens, and a bad smell and lots of foam on top.  I just skim the foam, rinse the beans really well, then put them back in the jars with baking soda and water until the acid is neutralized to make cooking easier.  Then I rinse the baking soda away, bring the pot of beans to a boil, and then turn off the stove and let it sit.  Then I dump out the water again and rinse because there will still be a little baking soda flavor/soapy texture if you don't do that.  And then I just cook them until they are soft and use seasonings like garlic oregano thyme, and the like.
The baking soda is really important because acidic beans will never soften.  The fermentation process removes a lot of the antinutrients and toxic components - even in the kidney beans - but drives down the pH.  I learned this the hard way as I cooked some kidney beans for 4 days and then had to throw them out because they were still hard.
Anyway, this is the reason why they have that "FrankenBeans" joke in The Office (US).  I'm sure the fermented vegetables and yogurt in my diet can help to account for less gas, but I think the main difference is in the fermentation of the beans.

When I have time I will publish a complete review of the pro-NWO and anti-WAPF propaganda in The Office (US).

- John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: